Data Science for the Public Good
What is the Data Science for the Public Good Program?
Türkiye’de bir ilke adım atmaktan gururluyuz: University of Virginia’nın Data Science for the Public Good (Sosyal Fayda için Veri Bilimi) programını İstanbul ve Ankara’ya getiriyoruz ve şehrimizin sorunlarına veri bilimiyle çözümler geliştiriyoruz! Data Science for the Public Good programı, sosyal bilimlerden, mühendisliklerden ve diğer farklı disiplinlerden gelen gençleri veri bilimi alanında yetiştirir. Eğitim alan gençler kamu kurumlarıyla bir araya gelir ve kendilerine sağlanan açık veriyle toplumsal sorunları daha iyi anlamak ve bunlara çözüm üretmek için projeler geliştirir.
This program is possible thanks to a great international partnership.
Content of the Program
- A free-of-charge and world-class 140-hour training from the experts 100-hour from the experts
- A unique opportunity for students from many different disciplines, especially social sciences
- Team work:The students admitted to the program will be assigned into teams to solve the social challenges presented by the municipalities
- Working together with the experts from the municipalities in Istanbul and Ankara, using real data.
- Fully sponsored visit to the U.S.At the end of the program, two teams (one from Istanbul, one from Ankara) will be selected to visit University of Virginia in summer and present their projects at an international symposium*
- Opportunity to work with several experts in University of Virginia for a week
* Sponsorship includes the flight tickets from Turkey to the U.S.
We will use a 3-tier admission process for the applicants:
- The application form
- Algorithmin thinking test
- 2 March 2020: Application deadline
- 21 March - 7 June 2020: The training (The classes will be held in the weekends. Zemin Istanbul in Istanbul, and TED University in Ankara will be the locations.)
- August 2020: Visit to the U.S. with the selected project teams
Only university students who are at the 3rd and 4th year of their studies, Master's and PhD students, and recent graduates who have graduated from school in the last one year will be admitted to the program. If you do not meet these criteria but still are interested in the program, we would welcome your application. We will pay special attention to diversity in the classrooms in terms of gender and academic background. In both Istanbul and Ankara, 30 people will be selected. In each city, only one team will be able to visit the U.S. symposium.
Who are We?
We have come together to achieve something unique with the young people in Turkey. This program is possible thanks to the collaboration between the University of Virginia Social and Decision Analytics Division, Kodluyoruz, CADS@TEDU (TED University Center for Applied Data Science), İstasyonTEDÜ (TED University Social Innovation Center), İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality, Zemin Istanbul, and Ankara Metropolitan Municipality.